Sunday 11 September 2011

Vaginitis

So, I think I may have vaginitis. I went to my doctor a while ago and let him know that I had a red, itchy pubic mound, labia and the surrounding area, and he said it could be caused by a number of things: a yeast infection, perfumed soap/bubble bath/laundry detergent, rough sex, itching vigorously, or wearing non-cotton, too-tight underwear.

Well, I was treated for a yeast infection with this topical/vaginal ointment, but the itch never went away (it's itchy right now). Anyway, so I suppose I might have to go back to my doctor and see what else he has in mind that may cure it. Until then, I may possibly go and get an over-the-counter treatment for a yeast infection (such as Canesten) and see if that helps at all. I looked it up online (on this PubMed Health site) and it says on there that a treatment can be used without a prescription if there is no fever, if this is your first yeast infection (which it is), and if you are not pregnant (which I am not). It says then if that doesn't help, see your health care provider. So that's what I'm going to do!

I wonder though if I should quit going in the hot tub, as it says that hot tubs can sometimes case vaginitis (there is lots of chemicals in there, as well as hot water, which can just dry out the skin anyway). Silly infection that I may have... More to come on this!

I think another course of action that I'm going to take is to start using dandruff shampoo/conditioner down there (non-scented of course). We'll see if any of this works.

Oh, I've also started to bathe in tea tree oil, but haven't tried this enough times yet to really tell if it's making a difference or not. My mom swears by tea tree oil, so you never know, it could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment